Welcome to The Auto Experts, where we not only share tips and information about automobiles but also delve into the world of culinary delights. Today, we present to you a delicious and easy-to-make recipe for a traditional Dutch Apple Pie, now available in a gluten-free variant. This classic dessert is perfect for any occasion and will leave you craving for more.
- For the crust:
- 2 ½ cups gluten-free flour mix
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- ½ cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the filling:
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples (Granny Smith recommended)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour mix
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the topping:
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
Follow these step-by-step instructions to create a tantalizing Dutch Apple Pie that will impress your friends and family:
- In a large bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour mix, sugar, and salt.
- Add the chilled and cubed unsalted butter to the bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, blend the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle ice water over the mixture, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two equal halves, shape into disks, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour before rolling.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, gluten-free flour mix, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Toss the ingredients together until the apple slices are evenly coated.
Topping Preparation and Baking:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a separate bowl, mix the gluten-free flour mix, brown sugar, and chilled cubed butter to form a crumbly mixture.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before rolling.
- Roll out one disk of dough on a lightly floured surface and carefully transfer it to a 9-inch pie dish.
- Add the apple filling to the pie dish, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple filling.
- Roll out the second disk of dough and cut it into thin strips to create a lattice crust or cover the entire pie as a whole.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool on a wire rack before serving.
There you have it, a delightful Dutch Apple Pie recipe that is not only gluten-free but also easy to make. The combination of sweet and tart apples, along with the buttery crust and crumbly topping, make for a mouthwatering treat. Whether you are a seasoned baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress. So, roll up your sleeves, gather the ingredients, and enjoy the process of creating this delectable dessert. Your taste buds will thank you!